Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Breakfast Series - 4

I've always been a huge fan of dairy.
When I was younger my brother even gave me the nickname Dairy Queen because he claimed I constantly smelt of "milk and cheese" (one, what a meanie and two, personally I think there are worse things to smell of).

I would down glasses of milk at any time of day, munch on cheese and carrots and eat mounds of yoghurt. However, I would find myself constantly whinging to my mum about feeling sick.
When I was about 16 I got sick of feeling sick and went to the doctors to get tested for a lactose intolerance.

When the results came back negative (thank god) my doctor pointed out that "maybe you just shouldn't eat so much." Awkwardly (are you calling me fat?!) he had a point. Humans aren't exactly supposed to consume half a tub of yoghurt every morning - our stomachs just can't process it. Now, since learning to embrace everything in moderation and cutting back on my favourite food group, I feel so much better in the mornings, while still getting my much needed dairy fix.

Yoghurt is an amazing source of protein and calcium, and probiotics. I know you've heard it all before but it's true.  But I beg you, please please don't even bother with the artificially flavoured, low-fat 'with REAL fruit chunks' yoghurt that comes packaged in cartons. It's just a watered down version of the good stuff, filled with sugar, artificial gelatines, thickeners, stabilisers and preservatives.

Buy natural, unsweetened pot set yoghurt and have fun making it exactly how you like it - chuck in whatever fresh, pure ingredients you like to eat. Mix it up to suit the seasons and your mood and I promise it will taste so much better than letting a machine decide what goes in it for you.

breakyseries1 Natural yoghurt, roasted pumpkin, sunflower seeds and almonds, chia seeds, ground cinnamon


What's on the cards for tomorrow, you ask? Another mid week quickie... 

No comments:

Post a Comment