Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A to the N to the Z A C

anzacs1




The overpowering smell of Anzac biscuits baking in the Woolies bakery today in anticipation of this coming Anzac Day was enough to make even the most gluten free only, egg white omelette eating, celery soup guzzling, yoga pant wearing girl go insane.

The smell permeated my nostrils as I reached for the zucchinis and cucumbers and loaded up on low fat yoghurt. I resisted the fresh, warm packets of the delicious biscuits and headed hastily for the self service checkout (which SUCK, by the way, why do they always yell at you?) and made my way outta there as fast as I could.

And then I got home.
And I caved
...Whoops, all that running around on an oval with a tire attached to my body for nothing.

And to make it even more extremo I added white chocolate chunks, dried cranberries and lime zest. No disrespect to the lovely, dedicated, hardworking women who baked these cookies for the soldiers all those years ago, but I felt like being a bit extravagant and although you could never improve on a basic Anzac biscuit, I just added a bit more me into the mix (not literally) since I have an inability to leave recipes as they are. Plus the little flecks of green, red and white throughout these oaty biscuits are just darrrrling.


anzacs3

Anzac Biscuits
with White Chocolate Chunks and Dried Cranberries

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup plain flour

1 cup demerara sugar (or normal sugar)
3/4 cup desiccated coconut
125g butter
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1/2 a teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 tablespoon boiling water
1/2 a cup white chocolate chips
1/2 a cup dried cranberries
Zest of 1 whole lime

Combine oats, flour, sugar and coconut. Melt butter and golden syrup together. Pour boiling water over bicarb soda and combine with melted butter and syrup. Pour this mixture onto dry ingredients and mix to combine. Add the white chocolate chips, the cranberries and the lime zest and mix well.

Take teaspoons of the mixture, roll into little balls and place on a lined baking tray. Lightly flatten each ball with the back of your spoon before baking in a moderate oven for about 15 minutes or until golden and crunchy.


goldensyrup


anzacs2

No comments:

Post a Comment