Wednesday, January 2, 2013

faking it

sangchoybow
 
 
I have a confession to make - I have never ever eaten sang choy bow at a Chinese restaurant.
I don't think I've ever even read a recipe on how to make this dish.
In fact, I've never even had it made for me by someone else, nor eaten it anywhere but my own home.
So really, for all I know, this recipe could be a complete and utter farce and I could just be a huge phoney by sharing it with you...
 
Either way, it is one of the most utterly satisfying, crunchy and delicious meals to eat after a long, hot day at the beach when your back is sticky, there's sands in your undies and the fan is doing nothing to settle the heat.


Sang Choy Bow - my style
serves 4

500g free range pork mince
1 big iceberg lettuce - leaves washed and dried and kept whole
1 can of water chestnuts, drained and roughly chopped
1 large knob of ginger
4 cloves of garlic
4 spring onions
2 birdseye chillies
2 carrots, grated
Handful of green beens
1 bunch of brocollini - roughly chopped up
1/2 a red capsicum, diced
(use any veggies you like - the more the merrier)
1 cup of bean shoots
2 tablespoons of both kecap manis and soy sauce
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 lime
1 large bunch of coriander, roughly chopped

Finely chop the spring onions, garlic and ginger and sauté off in a bit of coconut oil or olive oil in a pan. Add in the pork and continue cooking until browned. Chuck in all the chopped up veggies, the water chestnuts and the chillies. Pour in the tablespoons of kecap manis, soy sauce and fish sauce.

Cook for a further few minutes to soften the veggies. Turn the heat off, chuck in the coriander and the juice from 1 lime.

Spoon mixtures of the pork into the lettuce leaves and garnish with more chilli and some roasted nuts (I like cashews) - then roll up and eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment