Tuesday, October 25, 2011

You Have Been Missed

CURRY#

I'm going to put it out there. I haven't eaten Indian food since I went to India in January this year (excluding compulsory trip to neon lit Brick Lane in London).

Up until yesterday I had been avidly avoiding the heat of a good curry. Even the thought of eating a prawn vindaloo made me feel icky inside and the scent of a naan bread sent shivers down my spine. Yep, I was that deeply scarred from my horrific bout of food poisoning that I rejected anything to do with a whole delicious cuisine for nearly a year, which I'm sure you're all aware by now is incredibly unlike me.

But the spice is back baby... Oh, it's back!

CURRY2

CURRY1

 
Chickpea Curry
Recipe adapted from Christine Manfield

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons ground cumin

2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 a teaspoon asafoetida (optional)
1 onion, finely diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons minced ginger
2 small green chillies, sliced
2 ripe tomatoes, peeled and diced

1/2 cup tinned tomatoes
100 g thick plain yoghurt

400 g can cooked chickpeas, drained
Lemon juice, salt and pepper
Seeds from 1 pomegranate

Handful of chopped coriander leaves

Add the oil to the pan with the ground spices. Place on a medium heat and stir well, cooking for a few minutes. Add in the onion, garlic and ginger and saute until translucent. Add in the chillies, chopped tomatoes and tinned tomato. Reduce to a simmer and leave to cook for about 10 minutes to get the flavours mingling. Add in the chickpeas and yoghurt and leave to warm for a few more minutes. Season with salt, pepper, lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves. Just before serving stir through the pomegranate seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment