Sunday, September 25, 2011

Morning Sunshine

It's fun (and sometimes awkward) getting glimpses at what people have previously looked up on google when they whip out their iphone or laptop in a public arena (e.g. uni lectures best spot ever for over the shoulder snooping). I think it gives great insight into their interests, their personality and their current state of mind. For instance, if you were to check what my friend Sarah has recently been looking up, you would find "white albino sperm whale" which is an interesting story for anyone who wants to listen but I'm sure you don't want to hear it.

However, if someone was to check my google history they would find "positive quotes about getting up in the morning" typed in, in the vain hope I recently had of attempting to find some inspirational message to post on here about how much I love mornings and how we should all try to seize every dawn of a new day.
Yep.
Wow.
Thankfully I realised the error of my ways before I could publish any utterly lame comments that would be an embarrassment for both me and you (me because I wrote it and you because you had to read it) but honestly I do love mornings. I have no qualms with waking up at the crack of dawn. I love getting up early, taking some time to read the paper, downing a huge cup of tea and eating some delicious, healthy food. And yes, unfortunately this even applies when I've got a disgusting hangover. It's just what my body wants me to do and I'm sure not going to fight with 21 years of habit, so I figure I may as well make it worth my while by making delicious meals to wake up to...and I think you should too. Top of the morning to ya!


3 Grain Porridge with Pistachios and Cranberries

1/4 cup pearl barley, cooked
1/4 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 cup whole rolled oats
1 teaspoon linseeds
1/2 a cup of soy milk (or rice, or oat or cows)
2 tablespoons of pistachios
2 tablespoons of cranberries
1 teaspoon of honey
a few pinches of cinnamon

Over a stove top, place the pearl barley, quinoa, oats and soy milk in a pot. Bring to a gentle simmer and stir frequently until a creamy texture has been achieved and the oats are soft. Drizzle in the honey and cinnamon and linseeds and stir to combine. Pour into a bowl and top with pistachios and cranberries and a dash more milk if desired.


grainporridge

No comments:

Post a Comment