Sunday, March 13, 2011

Crystalised

gingerbick2


Sorry for lack of posts lately, fellow companions in life, but you see I started my new uni degree a few weeks ago and my life has now become a blur of watercolour paper, stanley knives, steel rulers and confusing geometry (which I so did not sign up for). Thankfully I did indeed get into the course I wanted to, but as my tutor said yesterday in response to my sarcastic comment about not having a weekend anymore, "sweetie you're studying interior design, you don't have a social life."

Great! Also a little bit dramatic if you ask me. I mean I don't fully understand why giving us 3 assessments all due in 1 week is going to be that beneficial to us as students, but hey who am I to question? As long as I keep repeating to myself "its only 13 weeks til uni break", I'll be fine.

I think.

In the mean time, here's a quick recipe for Chocolate Ginger Biscuits.

I'm crazy for the heat and power of ginger. I'll add it to anything and a large knob of ginger, a slice of lemon and some honey steeped in hot water is the best drink around. These little buttery delights are studded with bejewelled pieces of crystalised ginger, then drenched in a generous smothering of dark chocolate. Bring on procrastination.

gingerbick



Choc-Ginger Biscuits
Makes about 20 small biscuits
70g butter, softened

1/3 cup raw sugar

1/2 an egg (annoying I know, sorry)

1/2 a teaspoon vanilla essence

1 1/4 cups self raising flour

80g crystalised ginger, chopped into small pieces

50g dark fair trade chocolate

Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until pale and creamy. Now slowly add the egg (to half an egg, crack it into a bowl, whisk and awkwardly try to pour only half the mixture in). Mix through the crystalised ginger, and then sift in the flour and stir to combine. The dough will be quite wet and sticky, but that's okay. Place the mixture on a floured benchtop and lightly knead for about 30 seconds, adding more flour if it is too sticky. Roll the dough out into a log, about 30cm in length.

Wrap the log in gladwrap and refridgerate for about 30 minutes. Pre-heat an oven to 180 degrees celsius.

log



Cut the log into 1cm sections and place on a lined baking tray. Cook the biscuits for about 12 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and leave to cool and harden.

Once cooled brush melted dark chocolate over the bases of the biscuits, or drizzle over the top of them willy nilly. Either way, make it messy cos that's always nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment