Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Yin and Yang

salmon

I get bored very easily. 
I fidget a lot. I move. I find things to do. All. The. Time.
I used to think it was a problem, but for now I choose to just run with it...literally. 
Naturally every now and then I crash and I burn, so I take a few moments of silence and then allow it all to start back up again. 

This is also how I tend to approach cooking and eating food - I am constantly seeking out new ways to eat my favourite things, to keep things interesting and to keep me busy. I'm always always reading about food, through magazines, books, blogs and even bloody instagram. 

With the constant inspiration overload sometimes it's nice to strip things back to basics and eat just a simple meal built on old classics. This pesto is creamy while still being light and is full of fresh herbs and lemon zest. It's perfect smothered through soft strips of zucchini and some deliciously charred salmon. Perfect eaten in silence. 


Zucchini with Crushed Pea and Avocado Pesto

3 large zucchinis
2 cups frozen peas
1 large bunch of basil
1/2 a bunch of mint
Zest and juice of one lemon
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 ripe avocado
2 cloves of garlic
Olive oil 
Salt and pepper
Chilli flakes
Salmon steaks, or whatever you would prefer to serve it alongside

Either grate or thinly julienne zucchini into small batons. In a food processor combine the peas, basil, mint, lemon zest and juice, apple cider vinegar, avocado, garlic and salt and pepper. Whiz to combine and add a generous glug of extra virgin olive oil. Mix through the zucchini. 

Grill a piece of fresh salmon for a few minutes on each side, until skin is crispy and the fillet is cooked to your preference. Serve alongside zucchini pesto with some extra lemon and chilli flakes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment