Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Little bit of effort, whole lotta love

chocolatesorbet1


Another ice cream post, I know, but if you had an icecream maker you would understand that once you pop you cant stop, a bit like pringles although I'm not the biggest fan of pringles but you get me. Its just so easy to make icecream at home that I dont think I'm ever going to buy it again (um... this exlcudes Connoisseur cookies and cream, Maggie Beer's burnt fig, honeycomb and caramel and good old fashioned mint choc chip from an icecream shop).

Believe me, once you try this recipe you're going to start developing what I call R.I.C, random icecream cravings, and if you find yourself in a situation of intense craving for this on, say boxing day, pretty much the only day of the year when Woolies is closed then don't worry because it only has six ingredients which are staples in every kitchen. So basically what I'm trying to say in that long winded sentence is that you will never have an excuse not to make it, it's such a cinch.

But please, don't thank me for helping you discover this delight, thank the Aztecs who lovingly cultivated cacao trees thousands of years ago because without them, where would we be now?

Chocolate Sherbert
Recipe from David Lebovitz

2 cups of milk
1/2 a cup of sugar
1/2 a cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
120g dark, dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons coffee liquer (Kahlua)

In a saucepan warm half of the milk (250ml) on a low heat, add the sugar and cocoa powder. Bring to a full boil while whisking, then immediately return to a simmer and stir until sugar is fully dissolved and cocoa is incorporated.

Remove from the heat, add the broken up chocolate, vanilla extract and coffee liquer. Add in the rest of the milk and stir until a smooth consistency is achieved.


Pour into a bowl and leave in the fridge to chill. Transfer mixture into an ice-cream maker and let it do its thing, resulting in an icy, darkly chocolate and intensely addictive sherbert.

4 comments:

  1. It looks like you've opened an ice cream parlour with those cute stripey cups. And thanks for giving another reason to get an ice-cream maker (Santa, are you listening?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean! I love my ice cream maker. And your sherbet looks great, and super-cute in those little cups.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yumm! an ice-cream maker has definitely gone straight to the top of my christmas list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah i love these little cups they make eating ice cream that little bit more special, if thats possible...

    definitely they are so cheap! best $50 i've ever spent

    ReplyDelete