Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Peace, Man

rainbowcupcake


Although these cupcakes are quite a contradiction to this post I couldn't help myself in sharing them with you.

I saw the idea for these outlandish cupcakes on a few blogs and decided to try it myself because I'm a fan of colour and I'm a fan of cupcakes, which lead me to be standing in my kitchen at 10pm, flour in my hair, eggshells strewn on the bench and with stained hands that looked as if I was a key player in a murder scene.

The best way to make these cupcakes work is to be quite liberal with the food dye - the brighter the better. The cupcakes are misleading - some may think they are eating just an ordinarly pink cupcake until they open it up and wham it's like a flower in full bloom is growing inside, or as my friend said "it's like eating a clowns afro".

Although it does feel a little strange to be consuming such fluroescent food, it also feels so right at the same time.

rainbowcupcake2


Rainbow Cupcakes
Makes about 12

125g butter softened
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups self raising flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Food dye - any colours you want

Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees. Line a cupcake tin with patty pans. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs. Add the vanilla extract. Sift in a small amount of the flour, adding a little bit of milk alternatively each time, finishing with the flour. Stir to combine.

Divide the batter into 5 portions and put in separate bowls. To each batter add a few drops of each of the food dyes and mix until fully incorporated. In each patty pan add a dollop of the first coloured batter and smooth out into an even layer. Then repeat with the rest of the colours. Bake for 15-20mins until springy. Remove and set aside to cool and then eat!

rainbowcupcake3

No comments:

Post a Comment