Saturday, February 14, 2015

Eucalyptus Honey, Lemon and Poppyseed Shortbread


Hi, how's it going? It's been awhile, hasn't it?

In between moving house (again! two times in a month), starting a full time, I'm-a-real-adult job and living my life I seemed to have dropped off the blogosphere. Or maybe it dropped me. Either way, hello!
Today I bring to you a lovely, gentle flavoured shortbread recipe that I thought up one day when living back at my parent’s house in my nomadic (read: chaotic) period between rental houses. It features one of my favourite flavours in the world - eucalyptus. The smell of eucalyptus is, without a doubt, synonymous with home, the bush and the sun, and for that I love it.

Combined with lemon and poppy seeds, the result is a slightly zesty, mildly sweet and buttery soft shortbread. Delish. Hugo actually tried to convince me the other day I told him vehemently that I didn't like shortbread.
PUH-lease, see below.

Lemon, Poppyseed and Eucalyptus Honey Shortbread
Makes 12

125g butter
40g caster sugar
1 egg
60g eucalyptus honey
zest from 2 lemons
200g plain flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of sea salt
1/2 cup poppy seeds

Cream together butter, sugar and the egg until light and fluffy. Add in the honey and lemon zest.
Sift in flour and baking powder and gently mix until combined (don't mix the dough too much as you will get a tough bikkie) Roll the soft dough out into a log like shape, wrap in gladwrap and chuck in the freezer for about 30 mins to harden up. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celsius.

Grab the dough out of the freezer. Scatter the poppy seeds on a clean bench and roll the dough in the seeds to evenly cover. Slice the log into 1.5cm circles. Place on a lined baking tray and bake for about 12-15 minutes until golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment