Saturday, June 8, 2013

week 14

soup1 

Most mornings this week I have woken up with UHU glue stuck on my face. I've started imagining real life scenarios in terms of scaled plans, sections and elevations. I've got cuts all over my hands from my stanley knife, my eyes are permanently blurry from staring at a computer screen and I'm nooooot quite sure what day it is.

Yep. It's week 14. Assessments are due in a flurry of anxiousness. But here's a soup recipe for you because ain't nuthin this week was going to stop me from eating something I love, not even balsa wood models.

soup2

souphero

Winter Vegetable Soup w Pearl Barley and Silverbeet
serves 4

1/4 butternut pumpkin
1 potato
1/2 a fennel head
basically any combo of winter veg you feel like... but always, always pumpkin
1 red onion 
4 cloves of garlic 
1/2 a bunch of silver beet
Any winter herbs and spices such as thyme, oregano, fennel seeds, rosemary (I used thyme and dried greek oregano)
1 litre stock
1 cup cooked pearl barley
Handful of roasted almonds and pepitas 


Roughly chop up the pumpkin, potato, fennel and onion. Place in a big pot, cover in a few table spoons of olive oil and cook on a medium heat on the stove for about 10 minutes, until the onion is softened. Add the herbs and the diced garlic and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.  

Pour in the stock and a glug of water and cover with a lid. Bring to a slow simmer for about 30 minutes. When the veggies are completely soft, blend the soup mixture with either a hand blender or a food processor. Leave to simmer away and let the flavours develop for a further 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, wash and dry the silverbeet. Remove the white stem by running your knife down either side of it and pulling it away from the yummy green leaves. Roughly slice into ribbons. 
Just before serving, stir the silverbeet through the hot soup to softly wilt. 

Pour soup into a bowl. Top with a few spoonfuls of cooked pearl barley and a scattering of roasted almonds and pepitas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment